Clark Hall

Originally constructed as the Red Building of the Central of Georgia Railroad, Clark Hall was designed by Alfred Salom Eichberg and completed in 1887. The four-story building features a hard-fired red brick façade, stained glass transoms, and terra cotta ornamentation. Renovations in 1910 linked Clark Hall to the railway's adjacent sheds, which were constructed of Savannah gray brick in 1859 and used as a freight warehouse. In 1976 the complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark. It is the largest extant railroad depot in the U.S. SCAD saved the structures in 1988 and adapted them for use by the School of Building Arts. Sustainability features at Clark Hall include efficient lighting, air conditioning, and plumbing systems to reduce energy usage by 40%, as well as an ongoing 18% offset in renewable energy harvested by solar panels installed atop the sheds. Clark Hall serves as a model and living laboratory for the study of architecture, architectural history, furniture design, interior design, preservation design, and urban design at SCAD. The building contains 12 design studios, two homework labs, a materials library with samples from furniture design partners and industry trendsetters, a model shop, and a maker space fully furnished with advanced technology. Clark Hall is named for Robert G. Clark, thanks to a generous gift from the Clayco Foundation.

Clark Hall
Clark Hall View map

229 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Savannah, Georgia

Originally constructed as the Red Building of the Central of Georgia Railroad, Clark Hall was designed by Alfred Salom Eichberg and completed in 1887. The four-story building features a hard-fired red brick façade, stained glass transoms, and terra cotta ornamentation.

Renovations in 1910 linked Clark Hall to the railway's adjacent sheds, which were constructed of Savannah gray brick in 1859 and used as a freight warehouse. In 1976 the complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark. It is the largest extant railroad depot in the U.S.

SCAD saved the structures in 1988 and adapted them for use by the School of Building Arts. Sustainability features at Clark Hall include efficient lighting, air conditioning, and plumbing systems to reduce energy usage by 40%, as well as an ongoing 18% offset in renewable energy harvested by solar panels installed atop the sheds.

Clark Hall serves as a model and living laboratory for the study of architecture, architectural history, furniture design, interior design, preservation design, and urban design at SCAD. The building contains 12 design studios, two homework labs, a materials library with samples from furniture design partners and industry trendsetters, a model shop, and a maker space fully furnished with advanced technology.

Clark Hall is named for Robert G. Clark, thanks to a generous gift from the Clayco Foundation.

0 People follow this place

Upcoming Events (1)

Perspective Sketching for Interior Design

Friday, Oct. 22, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

hybrid

Virtual and in-person event

View full calendar

Recent Events

Recent Activity

No recent activity